The magazine.co.uk team take The Great British Bake Off seriously and in the spirit of all things sweet, we're baking every week up to the final! Here's Baking Heaven's Red Velvet Cake...
This week, Account Manager Ruth was inspired by the Cupcakes supplement in this month's Baking Heaven magazine and baked a sumptuous (full size) red velvet cake. Iced with traditional cream cheese icing and decorated with sliced strawberries and chocolate curls, we gave it 10/10. Here's how to bake it yourself!
RED VELVET CAKE
- 150ml milk
- 1tbsp white wine vinegar
- 110g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 135g plain flour
- 45g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 10g cocoa powder
- red gel paste colouring
For the icing
- 150g butter
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 100g cream cheese, diced
- Strawberries and chocolate curls, to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180c/Gas Mark 4 and grease a round 18cm cake tin.
- Measure the milk into a jug and add the vinegar, stir and set to one side. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, adding one egg at a time and beating well.
- Sift in both flours, the cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda and mix until evenly combined.
- Add the milk/vinegar mixture and stir. Colour the cake using the gel paste adding a little at a time until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. The cake should be springy to the touch. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, beat the butter and icing sugar together until fluffy, then add the diced cream cheese and mix until soft. Cover the cake, decorate with berries and chocolate curls and serve.
Subscribe to Baking Heaven magazine today by Direct Debit and you'll save 30% on the cover price and receive a FREE copy of The Great British Bake Off Celebrations Book worth £20!