A red lip is a classic look which everyone can pull off, and is perfect for the party season. Kerry, from Missy Vintage shares her top tips for perfecting the red lip look, as inspired by Vogue magazine.
I’m sure you’re all aware that the party season is well and truly upon us! The dark nights and the excuse of getting dressed up is just the encouragement some people need to take the plunge and go for red when choosing a shade of lipstick. Like your favourite LBD, red lips are a really classic look so it's no surprise that page after page in Vogue has models with perfect red pouts.
My first memory of lipstick is my Nan dabbing her orangey lipstick onto my lips. I love wearing all sorts of shades of red from the brightest of scarlet's to deep berry shades. Here are some of my top tips for wearing red lipstick:
- Keep lips smooth by using a lip balm on days you're not wearing lipstick. Applying some at night before bed is a great routine to get into.
- Exfoliate, another way to keep lips flake free is to gently brush them with a flannel, an exfoliating glove or a lip scrub. Just remember to be gentle though!
- If using foundation, apply some over your lips too, this gives a good base for your lipstick.
- If you're not wearing foundation then use a little concealer instead.
- Use a lip liner that matches or is close to your lipstick, this helps to prevent the lipstick bleeding, and gives a nice crisp line.
- If you're trying a bold colour like red for the first time and it scares you, then use your finger to dab on the colour and build the colour up a little bit at a time.
- Using a lip brush will help it last longer but I often just apply it straight from the tube.
- After application blot the lips with a tissue and reapply, do this once or as many times as you like. This process is layering the colour and helping your pout stay painted for longer.
- Finally - when buying a lipstick do think about the finish you want, glossy lipstick won't last as long as a matt finish but sometime people find matt lipsticks can feel dry, so it all about experimenting to find what works for you.
For year-round beauty and fashion inspiration, a subscription to Vogue magazine never fails to deliver. Whether it’s a gift for someone else, or even yourself, why not take advantage of the great Vogue magazine subscription deals at magazine.co.uk today?!